Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Glad we're still here!  (Read 3313 times)

Ascended_mike

• Sinfulness: +0/-0
  • This quiet offends Slaanesh!
    • View Profile
    • Warhammer 40k News, Rumours, Tactica & Battle Reports
Glad we're still here!
« on: May 13, 2014, 09:05:49 AM »

I was around on the original forum but didn't post that much. Not sure if anyone remembers me. (spent more time reading the posts you guys made than posting my own rubbish!)
Anyways, Signed up again. Kept the same username too. Hope to see others flocking back soon.

7th edition is fast approaching and wanted to see what peoples opinions were on the upcoming stuff. Especially the Daemonology stuff under the Malefic psyker pool.
More info available in my blog post here http://mij40k.blogspot.co.uk/ but I will post the images up on this thread once I get home. (At work and image hosting doesn't work on this network!)

Edit-

(Sorry if the size is poor, try clicking it or downloading it from my blog if that's any better...?)

It appears there may be a change for my chaos sorcerers to summon Daemonettes into battle - Finally giving me a reason to get hold of and paint some more Daemonettes. And even a Keeper of Secrets!!

Anyway, I'm glad you didn't do away with the forum! I'm sure it was a load of work to keep things rolling and wanted to make it known that I appreciate it. I've grown much more attatched to the world of 40k and the fluff behind it all, most specifically the Emperor's Children and I felt it time to come and do a bit of posting! To find the site had changed drastically!

Still, glad to see some familiar names and will be checking back regularly. Gonna need someone to help me through this 7th edition stuff!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 02:26:56 AM by Ascended_mike »

Poem

• Bringer of Epicurean Exorbitance
  • Global Moderator
  • Sinfulness: +1/-0
  • Excessive online, conservative in life.
    • View Profile
Re: Glad we're still here!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 12:02:20 AM »

Summoning Daemons again. What a luxury.
It really plays nicely for Chaos... Finally.... I hope it does at least.
In bondage to Pink, to deliver you unto the Black. Accrue wealth of intellect, not commodity, brandished with trappings of golden filigree, flame lick between the toes.
This is Poem's poem of nonsense.

Ascended_mike

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 03:10:49 AM »

I will be testing the new edition extensively with my Chaos, Tyranids and Tau army. Chaos will be at the forefront of my playing as I am pretty excited about the whole daemon summoning business.

I'll let you know how it goes.  :)

Cenobite

• That Cute Pariah
  • Administrator
  • Red sun over paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 12:38:55 AM »

So, let me preface this by saying that I pretty much build/convert/paint models for fun these days. My local game store shut down right around when 5th edition was coming out, and I never really found another place. Therefore, I pretty much skipped 5th ed and haven't even bought 6th.

Therefore, I don't really pay much attention to rumors about the rules releases. So I start reading this thread and go "Wait, 7th edition?". No sooner did I think that then my email notifier went off with a message from GW hyping the 7th ed pre-order. I did find it slightly interesting that no where in the product description do they ever actually refer to it as 7th. It makes me wonder if someone is trying to pass it off as 6th revised or something.

What concerns me is that the typical time between editions is 5 to 6 years. Rounding off, 6th ed came out a year and a half ago. I haven't really read the 6th ed rules, and have never played them, but I remember in the lead up to its release some of the rules changes sounded at least interesting. Just how badly did they fuck it up to have to have a year and a half turnaround time?
Like an evil twin
Feel it scratchin’ within
Like an insane sudden rangin’
And his beautiful face with his leathery lace
So can’t you see the play he’s staging?

Ascended_mike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 01:18:05 AM »

The problem we have with 6th edition is how much of a mess it is. There are many things that are imbalanced and in order to try and balance things They release untold expansion books, stronghold, escalation, dataslates, New armies as allies (Lords of War, Inquisition, Imperial Knights) - Whilst the 6th edition rulebook doesn't refer to them at all, many people have been dubious about buying and using them. In order for GW to be able to continue to rip people off make profit from such releases, they are indeed creating a new edition to cater for the wave of recent releases (and upcoming releases)

Whilst they make no mention of calling it '7th' edition, they do continue to call it the 'New' edition and do not mention it is just a 'revised' edition.

With rumours of massive changes in some areas, (Psychic phase - Changes to snapshots in overwatch, to name a couple) it does appear this edition will work somewhat differently to the previous edition. 6th edition wasn't great, but nobody called for it fixing this early. It feels like this is all designed to make as much profit from their miniatures while they can.

Regardless, I am trying to view it through rose tinted glasses. It's happening and there's nothing anyone can do about it, so I'm looking forward to learning about the changes and adapting my style of play. I am hoping that this new edition will give me more reason to bring out my Chaos Space Marines (as, at the moment, they just can't seem to win anything)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 01:25:04 AM by Ascended_mike »

Poem

• Bringer of Epicurean Exorbitance
  • Global Moderator
  • Excessive online, conservative in life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 05:34:09 PM »

I think Mike is quite accurate in this.

Going by my player base when someone turns up for a random game at our tables theyre always shocked as to where half of their list has come from.

A lot of people complain about the the allies rules, more specifically the Battle Brothers table.
I think Allies personally was a horrendous option for keeping the rules stable and that's personally where I see all the issues coming from.
Supplement after supplement is annoying, but without allies they cant be integrated into the army.
It would have been easy to fix but rather they wanted to use this umbrella "Allies" and it stinks of "Buy moar models".

Has everyone heard of Teldar yet?
Tau and Eldar.

One day when I rule the world I will make a vanilla codex and every codex will be based off that.
In bondage to Pink, to deliver you unto the Black. Accrue wealth of intellect, not commodity, brandished with trappings of golden filigree, flame lick between the toes.
This is Poem's poem of nonsense.

Ascended_mike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 02:34:45 AM »

You're right Poem. The Taudar (or as you referred to it, Teldar, same thing) combination is attrociously effective. The allies rule makes sense in some factors, like Imperial guard and Marines, CSM and Daemons, Necrons and Grey Kni-.. Oh wait. Anyway, that being said, the Allies rule will be here to stay but rumours are the chart is to change (hopefully, for the better)

People bring some ridiculous combinations to the table. My friend played a game (and lost-HA!) as "Necrons" & "Ultramarines" vs Eldar Iyanden supplement. I'm glad the Eldar won

But yes, some of the combinations are far too powerful. The whole WAAC (win at all costs) atmosphere around using allies draws out your average "That F'in Guy" into fielding the strongest forces imaginable...

Just wait until this "unbound" business comes into play.... ::)

Still, It's reasonable to assume that everything GW is doing is first and foremost, to try and sell more and more miniatures. (By the way, looks like they are still pretending Forge World doesn't exist)

Edit: Just another thing I'm going to add, interesting fact. My house is currently the home of a hive of honey bees. This is costing me more time and money to handle than I'd like... Maybe no 7th edition book for me for a while if this continues much longer. I like bees.. Just wish they'd leave my house alone!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 02:45:07 AM by Ascended_mike »

Ascended_mike

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 11:51:50 AM »

Some updates on the Daemon psyker abilities (and the rest of them) can be found on my blog if anyone fancies reading them.

stannley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:44:02 PM »

Personally I am happy with the Allies table and the fact that you can field whatever you like now.  That's probably because my group are like me - we play for the fun of it and to the fluff - winning is not as important as everyone having a great time.  If someone decided to play a ridiculous combination, purely to win the game, then we probably wouldn't be playing with that person again!

The Daemonology powers are interesting, and I can see their uses (I can imagine an Eldar army falling into depredation and summoning Slaaneshi daemons for example), but I doubt I will ever use them personally - I would prefer to have a Slaaneshi themed ally instead, or Nurgle for my Death Guard, etc.  I love the way we can do that now, having lost Daemonettes in 5th.

Now that I have played a few games of 7th ed, I would have to say that I have really enjoyed it.  The tactical objectives in particular make for a fresh and interesting game.